Mold in the home is not a good thing. Not only can it cause damage to your house, it can also cause many adverse health effects, especially for those who are highly sensitive to it.
What Is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that gets reproduced by tiny spores. Because these spores cannot be seen with the human eye, they float through the air undetected. While mold is commonly found outdoors, it can be found indoors as well, especially in warm, damp, and moist areas. If it is found growing in your home, it can produce mycotoxins which can be very harmful to your health.
Five of the most common types of molds that are found indoors include:
- Stachybotrys (black mold)
Mold in the home usually gets produced when there are leaky faucets and pipes, leaky roofs, and windows with indoor condensation. It can also be found in parts of the home with high humidity, such as basements. A musty odor can be the first sign of mold in the home.
How Can Mold Affect One's Health?
Because of the mycotoxins that mold produces, it can have adverse effects on a person's health, especially for those who are allergic or highly sensitive to it. Some of the more common symptoms for mold allergies include:
- Itchy rash
- Sinus problems
- Joint pain
- Chest tightness
Some people have also claimed to have neurological problems, such as memory loss and confusion, caused by mold. Other illnesses thought to have been caused by mold include: depression, sudden mood changes, kidney toxicity, and respiratory problems. Anyone can suffer if exposed to mold for long periods of time, however, people who are especially susceptible to having health problems include the elderly, infants, children, and those diagnosed with asthma, or other types of respiratory conditions, and those who have a compromised immune system.
Is It Possible to Lessen the Chances of Mold Exposure?
If you are hoping to find ways to lessen your chances of being exposed to mold in your home, there are some things you can do. Some of the most effective means for mold reduction include:
- Using a dehumidifier to help keep humidity levels low
- Ensuring your home has adequate ventilation
- Cleaning bathrooms with household products that kill mold
- By not adding carpet to areas in home with high humidity (bathrooms and basements)
If you do need spot mold, or suspect you have mold problems, it's best to contact a mold removal professional right away to decrease your chances of getting sick.
For more information contact a company like American Environmental Construction LLC.Share